Tuesday 5 July 2011

Old sayings have meaning


I learnt the other day the importance of an old saying that was fairly meaningless before,  'you can't judge a book by its cover'.
I met a friend of a friend a while back and didn't give him the time of day, mainly because he was wearing a tie dyed wife-beater and seemed a bit strange. I also heard via the grapevine (dangerous) a story or two of him doing some funny business so decided he was one bloke I wanted to stay as far away from as possible.
I recently went away over Easter with a bunch of randoms. Know one really knew the other well but we somehow all ended up together in a Vito driving up the east coast of South Africa. You can imagine my surprise when I hopped into the Vito and one of the seats is taken up by the bloke (lets call him Jack). 'This trip is going to be rather interesting I thought to myself'.
However from the minute the trip began I felt attracted to Jack, his energy, smile, everything about him but not in a sexual way more like a brotherly way. I felt so safe and content in his company and had to be near him all the time. It felt like I knew him in another life or something. I am not sure of my religious views that is a whole different topic. He got me and I got him!
Needless to say it was the best holiday of my life. I laughed the whole holiday, the kind of laugh that reaches your soul and you think to yourself that self actualisation must feel like this.
I was quite shocked and disappointed in myself that I could misjudge someone so wrongly and feel like I have lost out on a few years of great laughs with Jack. Luckily he is here now and I hope that I will be sitting around his dinner table in our 40's laughing about that crazy trip we took over one Easter in our youth.
I will never judge someone again until I get to know them first. Jack taught me a great life lesson.
Adele - Someone like you

No comments:

Post a Comment